Nona Birth Doula Training
The Nona Birth Doula training is evidence-based and integrates the principles of a physiological approach to birth into a foundation of mindfulness skills and practice. This unique training will teach you the basic skills necessary for confident, compassionate and non-judgmental labor support with an understanding of how historical and social perspectives have shaped birthing practices in the U.S.
The Nona Birth Doula Training is unique in that we integrate advanced mindfulness and psychotherapeutic approaches into our basic doula training.
What You Will Learn
- Social/Cultural/Historical perspectives of birth in the U.S.
- Physiological approach
- Common hospital protocols and procedures
- Optimal fetal positioning
- Labor support skills
- Defining the role of the doula
- Supporting partners
- Navigating legal concerns
- Starting a doula business
- Doula survival skills
- Mindfulness for doulas and birthing parents
- We are LGBTQ allies
- Language and the mind/body connection in birth
- Hormonal physiology
- Basic psychotherapeutic techniques for doulas
- Skills for understanding how to provide non-judgmental support
- Relationship building
Nona Doulas are Mindful Doulas
Mindfulness training differentiates Nona Doulas in these important ways:
- Nona doulas understand the physiology behind the mind/body interaction during birth and learn specific skills for facilitating normal progress through this framework.
- When birth does not progress normally, Nona doulas help parents utilize mindfulness skills to adjust their expectations and mediate fear or anxiety so that they can make their own best decisions wherever possible.
- Nona doulas develop a deep understanding of non-judgmental support by learning about the psychology of bias and how to use mindfulness skills to prevent personal biases from interfering with support.
- Nona doulas learn how mindfulness is a tool for coping with pain that utilizes the mind and the body and how mindfulness compliments other pain coping methods.
Nona Birth Doula Certification
The Nona Birth Doula training is the first step towards certification. Once you've completed the training, you will be provided a certification packet that includes requirements to certify including recommended reading for book summaries, evaluations from 3 births, a short answer essay exam, and requirements for observing childbirth education classes.
The following readings will be helpful for providing a foundation of knowledge before the training. However, you can attend the training if you have not read them yet.
“Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn” by Penny Simkin
“The Birth Partner” by Penny Simkin
“Wherever You Go, There You Are” by Jon Kabat-Zinn
When, Where, How:
Clicking "sign up" takes you to our online scheduler. Click on "trainings" and scroll to find your training and register.
*Can’t come to Columbia? Contact Erica about bringing the Nona Birth Doula Training to you!
The location of the training is within walking distance from hotels, restaurants and coffee shops in downtown Columbia Missouri. Light snacks will be provided. Lunch is on your own with ample time to walk or drive to local restaurants.
- Full refunds are available up to one month before the training.
- Up to three weeks before the training a 75% refund is available
- Up to two weeks before the training a 50% refund is available.
- No refunds are available after two weeks before the training.
- **If we cancel due to low enrollment or other circumstances you will receive a full refund.